ISA Level 1 Surf Instructor Course In India
About the ISA Programs
International Surfing Development provides ISA Surfing Programs throughout the world for Surf Instructors, SUP Instructors, and Surf Judges.
Recognized by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) as the world governing authority for the sport of surfing, the ISA Surf Coaching & Instructing Educational Program is the international standard for accreditation of Coaches and Instructors in the surf school industry.
The ISA Coaching & Instructing Program is designed to develop the skills, knowledge, and abilities of those individuals who wish to obtain a scientific approach to the Coaching and Instructing of surfing.
The objectives of the ISA Coaching & Instructing Program:
- To establish an international system of Coaching and Instructing Courses, improving the safety and efficacy of surf instruction around the world.
- To further develop, through educational programs, a body of knowledge on which Coaches and Instructors may draw.
- To provide Coaches and Instructors with employment opportunities, encouragement, and support.
- To advance Surf Coaching and Instructing as a globally standardized and highly professional activity with stringent requirements.
Over time this program will expand to many other areas of professional development education for our great sport of surfing. All ISA Coaches and Instructors must abide by the local laws and regulations of the area in which they work. All ISA Instructors must be a minimum of 16 years of age to become an accredited ISA Instructor but must work under the supervision of an ISA Instructor over 18 years of age. An ISA Instructor must be a minimum of 18 years of age to instruct without supervision.
ISA Level 1 Surf Instructor Course
The ISA Level 1 Surf Instructor qualification is the only internationally recognized Surf Instructor qualification recognized by the International Surfing Association and member organizations. All ISA courses set the international standard for accreditation for Instructors and Coaches in the surf school industry.
The Level 1 Instructor Qualification is the basic Instructor accreditation and the minimum requirement for professional instructors to hold. It covers the teaching of entry-level and basic beginner surfers through to an early intermediate level.
All level 1 Instructors must be a minimum age of 16 years old. Instructors under the age of 18 must work with a supervising instructor until they reach 18 years of age, at which time they are able to instruct on their own.
The requirements for accreditation and gaining the ISA Level 1 Surf Instructor qualification are
- Attend the 2 Day ISA Level 1 Surf Instructor Course
- Satisfactorily complete all requirements of the course including
- Venue Analysis
- Design a basic learn to surf lesson plan
- Deliver a basic learn to surf lesson
- Demonstrate basic surf skills
- Complete 20 practical instructing hours with a Supervisor Instructor who signs off a competency Check List for the Trainee Instructor
- Fully complete the Level 1 Surf Instructor Work Book
- Complete and be proficient in an Ocean Rescue Award
- It is also strongly recommended that all instructors are a member of their National Governing Body
* Please note that there may be additional location-specific requirements that must be met prior to the issuing of the Qualification. This may include, for example, the requirement to have any working with children checks completed
Once these are all completed, the Trainee Instructor submits their WorkBook to the Course Organiser, the National Governing Body or to the person identified during the course to whom all completed materials must be submitted to.
Once this has been done, it will be submitted to the ISA Head Office for processing. At which time, the successful instructors will be issued with their ISA Level 1 Certificate and added to the ISA Instructor Register.
The 2 Day ISA Level 1 Surf Instructor Course will cover all the required material, both the theory and practical components. At the completion of the course, the participants must finish the requirements before they can submit their workbook to become accredited and qualified as an ISA Level 1 Surf Instructor.
Participants have 12 months to fully complete and submit to the ISA all requirements from the date of the start of the course to become accredited and qualified. If not completed within this 12-month time frame, the participant must complete the 2-day course again.
Instructor and Member Registration lasts for 12 months from the date of registration with the ISA. To reregister with the ISA, it is simply a matter of renewing online with the payment of the annual registration fee.
Practical Surfing Skills Assessment
As part of the course, all participants to pass the course, must have basic surfing skills and be able to surf to a minimum of a basic intermediate surfer. If at the time of the course, the participant is not able to show this, there will be an extension given to be able to demonstrate to the Course Presenter (or another person as directed by the Course Presenter) that these skills have been mastered.
The skills required are
- Be able to enter the water safely and paddle out through the break and impact zone successfully and competently negotiating the break and impact zone
- Be able to sit out the back, sit up on the board, turn the board and paddle onto green waves (unbroken waves)
- Do a basic bottom turn to the right and traverse the wave
- Do a basic bottom turn to the left and traverse the wave
- Safely exit and dismount from the wave
- Safely return to shore
- Not only must the participant be able to complete these basic skills but they must be completed competently
These skills are to be shown in gentle small-medium surf which is approximately 2-3 ft surf with a wave face of 3-6ft (waist to maximum head high waves).
Surf Rescue Training Requirements
The basic requirements for the Surf Rescue training are
- A 200m swim completed in under 5 minutes of continuous swimming of a recognized stroke
- A 100m run, 100m surf swim, 100m run completed in under 5 minutes with the run done on the sand and the swim done through the surf with a course to be set during the training
- Have basic surf skills without a board in the water so be able to run and dive through the waves and be able to swim to behind the break and then be able to return to shore in small to medium surf conditions
- Show competency in the rescue skills taught throughout the course
- Show competency in the basic first aid skills taught throughout the course
- Show competency in the rescue basic CPR taught throughout the course
- Show competency in the other skills taught throughout the course
These requirements and skills must be shown during the course prior to the end of the training. Unfortunately, no extensions can be given to this one so it is important, especially for the fitness components (the swimming and run swim run) that participants do training prior to the course to ensure that they can complete these tasks
DRAFT ISA LEVEL 1 SURF INSTRUCTOR PROGRAM FOR INDIA IN JULY 2014
Day 1 9 am to 4 pm ISA Level 1 Surf Instructor Course
Day 2 9 am to 4 pm ISA Level 1 Surf Instructor Course
Day 3 9 am to 4 pm Practical teaching of learning to surf classes with supervising instructors to begin to gain the required 20 hours practical experience
Day 4 9 am to 4 pm Practical teaching of learning to surf classes with supervising instructors to begin to gain the required 20 hours practical experience
Day 5 9 am to 4 pm Basic Surf Rescue, Basic First Aid, and Basic CPR training (non-accredited)
ISA Surf Instructor Workshop: Venue, Fee & Dates:
Venue: Mahabalipuram (Mahabs)
Fee: Rs 25,000 (Instructor Course + ISA Certification + Rescue Training + Surf School License from SFI)
Dates: July 11th - July 15th, 2014
Note: The cost of the workshop might come down if there are a number of participants or if we are able to find a sponsor for the workshop.
TERMS & CONDITIONS:
- I hereby agree that I am willing to participate in the ISA Level 1 Surf Instructor Workshop conducted by Surfing Federation of India under International Surfing Association.
- I accept the course procedures and standards set by the Surf Course Presenter in collaboration with Surfing Federation of India under International Surfing Association guidelines.
- I promise that my conduct, behavior, and interaction during the course shall be well mannered at all times with due respect to the course presenter, organizers, association and fellow participants.
- Ramesh Budhial, Sugar Banarse, Kishore Kumar & Sofiya Sharma Crowned As the New National Champions at Indian Open of Surfing 2022
- Indian Open of Surfing 2022
- The Palkbay National Stand Up Paddling Championships – Results
- National Stand Up Paddle Championship, Palk Bay, Rameswaram
- Sekar Patchai & Tanvi Jagadish Defend National Stand Up Paddle Championship Title